Autocross is a timed event that pits a driver’s skill and a car’s handling ability against the clock. A course is laid out using pylons (traffic cones) and the goal is to travel from the starting line to the finish in the lowest amount of time. A time penalty is incurred when cones are hit, so precision and control are very important. “Autocross” and “Solo” are used interchangeably – “Solo” is the SCCA’s specific brand of autocross.
Autocross is one of the cheapest, safest and easiest motorsports to participate in. Our fees (listed below) are low, and no special safety gear (such as roll bars, fire suits, etc.) is required except a helmet (and the Central PA Region has free loaner helmets available). Although a wide range of vehicles (from go-karts to purpose-built open wheel cars) compete in autocross, almost any production car is also welcome. Cars only compete against other, similar cars depending on its original performance and modifications. Cars are never near each other on the course and the speeds are relatively low.
To see what an event is like, please watch when Cool Pixx visited to our Test & Tune or watch our ABC 23 video segment or this Road & Track video. If you’re interested, come out and watch or participate!
Solo Event Information
- Please read our Competition Rules and Site Regulations
- Event locations
- Schedule for a 8:00 AM start (NOTE: Events with a different start time will shift accordingly)
- Registration – 8:00 AM – 9:30 AM
- Tech Inspection – 8:00 AM – 9:40 AM
- Walk course – 8:30 AM – 9:45 AM
- Novice Meeting/Walk – 9:00 AM – 9:45 AM
- Mandatory Driver’s Meeting – 9:45 AM
- First car off – 10:00 AM
- Cost is $35 for SCCA members and $50 for non-members. Members MUST have their card present for discount. ALL competitors MUST have their driver’s license to participate.
- First-time participants receive a $10 discount on the entry fee – be sure to mention at registration that this is your first time at CPR!
- Solo Supplemental Rules – Official Regional Amendments to the SCCA Solo Rulebook
Minor presence/participation at events
- All competitors or passengers under the age of 18 must have a minor waiver signed by both parents or legal guardians.
- All guests staying exclusively in the spectator area, under the age of 18 must have a minor waiver signed by at least one parent or legal guardian.
- If unsure, please read Section 4.13 from the Solo Rulebook. The waiver should be signed in the presence of an SCCA member. If the parents or guardians are unable to attend the event to sign the waiver, please contact one of the officers to make arrangements to have the waiver signed before the event.
Additional Solo Information